Famous among Progressive rock fans worldwide for being probably the classiest (and most complete) publication in this style, the Finnish magazine Colossus had the great idea to ask thirty (Yes, thirty !) bands of the whole world to illustrate the national Finnish epic: “Kalevala”. It is made of old ballads and traditional songs, but is also part of a huge group of legends, which has inspired both J.R.R. TOLKIEN for his mythic “Lord Of The Rings” and composer SIBELIUS, among others.
The idea that contributed to the creation of “Kalevala – A Finnish Progressive Rock Epic” (2003) was to use exclusively instruments of the Seventies, in order to obtain the “Aging” that the story needed. The result is absolutely stunning: three albums included in a box-set designed as beautifully as the famous Colossus covers. As for the music, the listener won’t be disappointed ! He’ll be delighted to hear about four hours of sumptuous and rich (Vocal or instrumental) Progressive rock. On it, all the styles (Neo Progressive, symphonic, neo-classical, heavy-metal, experimental…) are blended with a certain domination of a golden Seventies Progressive rock inspiration. No doubt, there was a healthy competition among the bands, some of them performing here at their best so far !
Let’s mention HAIKARA, OVERHEAD, SIMON SAYS, SINKADUS, MOONGARDEN, IL CASTELLO DI ATLANTE, MAGENTA, SUBMARINE SILENCE, METAPHOR, CLEARLIGHT, ORCHARD, GREENWALL, REVELATION, SCARLET THREAD, MAD CRAYON, MUSEO ROSENBACH, LEVIATHAN, MALIBRAN, Sofia BACCINI, ELEGANT SIMPLICITY, QADESH, CANTINA SOCIALE, GRAND STAND, GERMINALE, AADVARK, THONK, GROOVECTOR, WHOBODIED, Nicola RANDONE & TEMPORE and CAFEINE.
If all of this hasn’t proven to you that this is the event of the year, then, your only solution will be to buy as soon as possible “The Compilation Of Traditional Tibetan Dances” !!!
** Above text quoted verbatim from the Musea Records web site.
- Musea Records | FGBG 4463.AR | August 2003 | 3CD | Available
Discs / Tracks
DISC 1 (81:32)
- HAIKARA (Finland) – The Creation / The Sowing (11:27)
- OVERHEAD (Finland) – Wainamoinen and Youkahainen / The Fate of Aino (8:00)
- SIMON SAYS (Sweden) – Som Floden Flyter (As the river runs) (7:00)
- SINKADUS (Sweden) – Trubadurens kval (The Minstrel’s Cry) (5:36)
- MOONGARDEN (Italy) – Maiden of the Bow (10:18)
- IL CASTELLO DI ATLANTE (Italy) – Ilmarinen Forges the Sampo (6:59)
- MAGENTA (UK) – Lemminkainen’s Lament (6:53)
- SUBMARINE SILENCE – (Italy) (7:34)
- METAPHOR (Usa) – Raking the Bones (7:45)
- CLEARLIGHT (Usa-Fra) – The Boat Builder / Searching For the Lost Word (10:00)
DISC 2 (71:00)
- ORCHARD (Norway) – 3 (7:30)
- GREENWALL (Italy) – The Wedding (14:27)
- REVELATION (Italy) – Uninvited Guest (10:00)
- SCARLET THREAD (Finland) – Pimeästa Pohjolasta (5:01)
- MAD CRAYON (Italy) – Il Suono Dei Ricordi (The Sound of Memories) (6:19)
- MUSEO ROSENBACH (Italy) – Fiore di Vendetta (The Flower of Revenge) (6:37)
- LEVIATHAN (Italy) – Filo di Lama (Edge of a Blade) (10:32)
- MALIBRAN (Italy) – Strani Colori (Strange Colors) (5:12)
- SOFIA BACCINI (Italy) – Malvagio Per Le Stelle (Mean because of the stars) (5:25)
- ELEGANT SIMPLICITY (UK) – Ilmarinen’s Bride Of Gold (5:02)
DISC 3 (76:19)
- QADESH (UK) – Ilmarinen’s Fruitless Wooing (11:30)
- CANTINA SOCIALE (Italy) – Kantele (6:00)
- GRAND STAND (Sweden) – Stormen (Tempest) (7:07)
- GERMINALE (Italy) – La Battaglia per il Sampo (The Battle for the Sampo) (8:14)
- AARDVARK (Finland) – Uusi Kantele (New Kantele) (5:57)
- THONK (Switzerland) – Kapittu 45/46 (Chapter 45/46) (6:37)
- GROOVECTOR (Finland) – Tuletta (Fireless) (5:29)
- WHOBODIES (Finland) – Pine (5:41)
- RANDONE & TEMPORE (Italy) – Runo 49 (9:00)
- CAFEÏNE (France) – Way is open (11:44)