Sad Tidings (2023)

Elegant Simplicity - Sad Tidings

Release Info

We began releasing Xmas singles in 2016 and continued until 2022. The aim was to end up with a body of work that would neatly congregate into one nicely themed album. That time is now. Not everything is here, though; just the most choice quality cuts! The normal length Good King Wenceslas and the full band Silent Night have been omitted to keep this album nice and lean and to avoid repetition..

Everything has been remastered and some parts re-recorded to give you the best possible listening experience.

Broadly speaking, about 30% of what you hear is based on the original versions of the songs with the remaining 70% being my compositions and arrangements. I am super proud of the last 6 minutes or so of Joy to the World: it’s a wonderful orchestrated thing!

Sources and Inspirations: AKA History Lesson
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen – Based on an old English tune from around 1650
In The Bleak Mid Winter – Loosely based on an English poem by Christina Rossetti with music originally composed by Gustav Holst
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing – Derived from the work of prolific English hymn-writer Charles Wesley, 1739
It Came Upon A Midnight Clear – Based (again, very loosely) on a poem and carol by Edmund Sears, written around 1849
Joy To The World – Based on a work by English minister and hymn writer Isaac Watts, circa 1979
Sad Tidings – Based on an Austrian tune, circa 1818
Good King Wenceslas – Based on an 1853 translation of a Czech poem
Silent Night – Inspired by an Austrian tune, circa 1818. Same source as Sad Tidings
Sources and Inspirations

All of the above works are in the public domain and no copyrights have been knowingly infringed. My interpretations feature little bits of the above works wrapped up in new harmony and lashings of original music. 

LabelCat NoYearFormatBuy
Proximity RecordsECD 20231201-101st Dec 2023CD AlbumBuy the CD
Proximity RecordsEDD 20231201-101st Dec 2023DownloadBuy the Download


  1. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (03:42)
  2. In The Bleak Mid Winter (03:43)
  3. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (06:07)
  4. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear (04:18)
  5. Joy To The World (10:51)
  6. Sad Tidings (04:38)
  7. Good King Wenceslas (Extended) (05:29)
  8. Silent Night (Quietly Does It) (03:38)

Line Up

Steven McCabe – Guitars, Bass, Keyboards, Drums, Flute

Maurizio Antonini – Drums on ‘Sad Tidings’
Farah Rogers – Vocals on ‘Silent Night (Quietly Does It)’


Recorded, mixed and mastered between 2016 and October 2023. Art design, production and engineering by Steven McCabe

©2023 Steven Michael McCabe. All rights reserved.

ES Logo

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.